Sunday, February 15, 2009

The "Waste Land", my first re- reading...

I am starting to get a better understanding of the poem now that I have re- read it with the foot notes. Also, after a class discussion, I have begun to understand the poem a lot more. We took into consideration the time the poem was written, and what political influences it had on it. Which seemed to me to make a lot more sense. We also discussed people, places, things, and words that all contribute to the poem. The website we were given really helps me deepen my understanding of the poem. I still do not particular like the poem, but I am slowly getting to TRYING to understand it. It may grow on me eventually! We were assigned some critical essays to read in class that go along with the poem. I have read my assigned two, but I am not really sure what to make of them, so I am going to re-read them. "The Waste Land" is starting to come together for me, but it is sometimes very confusing, the poem IS and seems like a completely different language.

No comments:

Post a Comment