Monday, March 23, 2009

Internet research on "The Wasteland"

As i was researching The Wasteland on the Internet to get a more in-depth understanding, I came across a critique written by a guy named Joseph King. His interpretation of the poem was that is was about sex. He thinks the first lines indicate sex. When Eliot writes about April as the rebirth and spring, King thinks he is describing sex in a negative light. he then goes on to describe the presence of sex in "A Game of Chess", saying that in Eliot's line,"think of poor Albert/ He's been in the army four years, he wants a good time/ And if you don't give it him, there's others will", is suggesting that sex is a human need, and it is lacking anything more? He also thinks the name "A Game of Chess", is symbolizing sex as a game. Up until reading this guy's personal idea of the poem, I thought I was really getting to understand the poem. He does raise a good point, and I can see his connections. I am sure there is some sexuality in this poem, however, I am not sure that this is all this poem is about. That, or, it is not intended to be about sex as the main theme. I do like his connections, and they have given me a different perspective, but as readers, we can drawn any symbols we want out of a story, and I think he might have dug a little too deep with this. I found his analysis at: http://www.helium.com/items/409042-poetry-analysis-the-waste-land-by-t-s-eliot-as-a-critique-on-sexuality?page=2

No comments:

Post a Comment